Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Movin' On- Love (Part 1/16)- 3/23/11

(This blog will be the first of sixteen, all inspired by a word featured in the chorus of Good Charlotte's song "Movin' On". It's one of my favorite songs, and I think it's really meaningful, which is why I was inspired to write this series.)

"The Power of Love"

So I should probably be doing homework right now (I've got an exam and an annotated bibliography due tomorrow, not to mention a final project I should be working on), but it felt like the time to write this blog; it's been something I've thought about for awhile.

I believe in love; more specifically, I believe in the power of love to triumph over hate, over pain, and over adversity. Love doesn't just include romantic love; it doesn't just include love for your family or love for your friends. Love involves a love for other human beings. It means a respect for the life of others, even if you don't know them and especially if you do. It means accepting others and it means acknowledging them. It means helping others and sometimes putting them before yourself.

We live in a world filled with hate. I don't believe that's a very good way to live at all. When we engage in hateful acts- and that includes bullying, racism, antisemitism, sexism, ageism, and war, among others- we only further the hate. Hate gets us nowhere; it only perpetuates the cycle of hate that we have going on. We can't progress as a society if our attitude is hateful.

But if we have love, then we can get a lot farther. Love is pretty powerful. If we have love, we can get pretty far. Love can help us see past our differences, and overcome things that we thought we couldn't. Individually, we can only get so far; but if we gather together, with love, then we can get ever farther.

No comments:

Post a Comment